Let’s chat about the 3 MOST common harsh chemicals in household cleaners!
• Window, Kitchen, and multi-purpose cleaners.
Health & Environmental Concerns:
• Sore throats when inhaled.
• At high levels, can contribute to narcosis, pulmonary edema, and severe liver and kidney damage.
Health Risks: 2-butoxyethanol is the key ingredient in many window cleaners and gives them their characteristic sweet smell. It belongs in the category of “glycol ethers,” a set of powerful solvents that don’t mess around. The law DOES NOT require 2-butoxyethanol to be listed on a product’s label. According to the EPA’s Web site, in addition to causing sore throats when inhaled, at high levels glycol ethers can also contribute to narcosis, pulmonary edema, and severe liver and kidney damage. Although the EPA sets a standard on 2-butoxyethanol for workplace safety, Sutton warns, “If you’re cleaning at home in a confined area, like an unventilated bathroom, you can actually end up getting 2-butoxyethanol in the air at levels that are higher than workplace safety standards.”
• Polishing agents for bathroom fixtures, sinks & jewelry; also in glass cleaner.
Health & Environmental Concerns:
• Especially dangerous for people with ASTHMA, lung issues, and/or breathing difficulties
• Causes a poisonous gas when mixed with bleach.
Health Risks: Unlike many of the toxins we’ve discussed over the last few days, ammonia isn’t known to carry long-term risk. It is a naturally occurring substance and dissipates in the environment fairly quickly. However, it does carry risk upon immediate exposure to high amounts of ammonia. For that reason, many families chose to keep out of the home when they have small children. Ammonia interacts immediately upon contact with available moisture in the skin, eyes, oral cavity, respiratory tract, and particularly mucous surfaces to form the very caustic ammonium hydroxide. Ammonium hydroxide causes the necrosis of tissues through disruption of cell membrane lipids (saponification) leading to cellular destruction. As cell proteins break down, water is extracted, resulting in an inflammatory response that causes further damage.
• Scouring powders, toilet bowl cleaners, mildew removers, laundry whiteners, household tap water, and swimming pools.
Health & Environmental Concerns:
• Respiratory irritant
• May Cause allergies or asthma
• Possible link to bladder and rectal cancer
• Prolonged and elevated exposure linked to an increased risk for coronary heart disease
Health Risks: Chlorine is a naturally occurring element and, as part of the literal salt of the earth, very abundant. Humans have harnessed chlorine and most commonly use it for disinfecting purposes. Research suggests that children who are exposed to higher levels of chlorine may have increased risks of developing allergies or asthma. Among adults exposure to chlorine has been linked with other health problems including bladder and rectal cancer and, possibly, an increased risk for coronary heart disease.
As always, we emphasize that this information is provided for educational purposes. The best thing you can do is make changes that will help lessen the harmful chemical load in your home! There are alternatives to cleaning without compromising your health, the health of your family, the health of your pets, and risking our environment! We will talk about that next!
So now that we have talked about cleaning and some of the YUCK that can be found in our cleaning products! Let me introduce you to Young Living’s Thieves Household Cleaner!
Formulated with the power of Young Living’s Thieves essential oil blend, you can get a deep clean without dangerous or synthetic ingredients!!!!! Thieves cleaner also includes the scent of Lemon essential oil for an, even more, uplifting aroma.
This all-purpose cleaner can be used on ANY surface in your home for dusting, spot cleaning, scrubbing, or any other cleaning need. Wherever you use it, you’ll feel good knowing it’s safe to use around everyone in your family, including pets!
The Thieves Household Cleaner is concentrated and one bottle last a very long time! I like to get a 30 oz industrial spray bottle (see example here:click/touch to order from Lowe’s) and mix it with 2 capfuls of Thieves cleaner (YEP THAT’S IT). Fill the rest with distilled water! If it seems like this recipe is a little too easy… well it is! It doesn’t take a lot of work (or money) to make something that can clean your entire house! All you need is a 30 parts water to 1 part cleaner ratio!
Check out our 61 uses guide for the Thieves Household Cleaner: https://theoilposse.com/2015/11/09/61uses4thc/
I also like to pre-make and give as a housewarming gift because it is free of harsh chemicals and it is easy on our budget!
Who already loves Thieves cleaner- raise your hand if you do!
LOL! You have to see our friend Melissa clean with Thieves Cleaner!
COSMETICS! Whoa! The list of harmful chemicals in most cosmetic items is overwhelming!
Just because you don’t swallow it doesn’t mean it doesn’t get in …
The skin is our largest organ and even though it acts like a barrier, we can still absorb 60% of what we put on our skin (think of birth control/nicotine patches).
Did you know that the Government allows the word “fragrance” on a product label to be a safe haven for any chemical a manufacturer chooses to use? A single fragrance can contain from ten to several hundred chemicals, most of which are harmful to us and our environment.
Your skin, the largest organ of your body, directly absorbs fragrance chemicals that are applied to it.
Clothing and bedding washed and dried with fragrances provide constant contact with harmful chemicals that are absorbed by your skin AND inhaled as vapors.
This is an inspirational 15-minute watch! When it comes to the products you put on your body, skin, or hair, one thing’s for sure: most companies that make those products don’t have your back. Heather White, Executive Director of the Environmental Working Group, explains why our lotions, makeup, and shampoos are loaded with dangerous chemicals, why babies are born with hundreds of toxins in their blood, and what you can do to make your immediate environment — and the world — a little bit safer.
You can make a change! You are not powerless! You can be safe & still enjoy feeling & looking beautiful! Young Living offers a variety of skin, hair, and body care products!
Natural options for skin care:
Carrier Oils (A carrier oil is a vegetable oil such as coconut oil or grapeseed oil that can be used to dilute EO’s)
- Coconut oil – This is fatty oil obtained from the coconut and used in candies and confections and in cosmetics and is very beneficial to the skin
- Young Living’s V-6 Vegetable Oil Complex: is a blend of six organic vegetable oils – fractionated coconut oil, sesame seed oil, grapeseed oil, sweet almond oil, wheat germ oil, sunflower oil, and olive oil. This oil complex nourishes the skin, has a long shelf life, does not clog pores, and will not stain clothes. It can be used to dilute essential oils or can be used 100% as a base oil to create custom blends, formulas, and massage oils. (*Note: wheat germ oil is not a safe product for those who suffer from Celiac)
- Jojoba Oil is yellow and derived from the bean. It contains protein and minerals. It’s a waxy substance that mimics collagen. Useful for all skin types.
Essential Oils & Essential Oil infused products:
• Cedarwood (great for skin/hair & anti-aging)
• Lavender (great for skin/hair & anti-aging)
• Frankincense (great for skin cell health & anti-aging)
• Essential Beauty Serum (skin’s natural moisture balance)
See all products here: https://www.youngliving.com/en_US/products/beauty/anti-aging
Also check out the Skin Deep Database to find out what the hidden ingredients are in your favorite cosmetic products: http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/
Tomorrow we will talk about the hidden toxins in air fresheners and candles and some of our favorite alternatives! Then we wrap up!! Any questions so far, feel free to reach out to us via email: firstname.lastname@example.org